Wednesday 13 March 2013

Majo's Casual Italian Dining, New Farm

Last weekend, my brother, my partner and I tried Majo's at New Farm. I discovered it via urbanspoon.com (possibly the best website ever), so we decided to try it out because of its many positive reviews. We arrived at around 6.30pm, and were shown to our table promptly. The restaurant is quite spacious and comfortable. We decided to order a pizza from their authentic Italian pizza menu (apparently they are made according to Italian pizza regulations...). We ordered the 'Mamma Teresa' pizza - Tomato sauce, Italian pork sausage, roasted onion, oregano - to share. We each ordered an entree size main (they were still huge). I ordered creamy chicken and mushroom penne and my partner and brother both ordered chianti beef and mushroom ragu (brother had fettuccine and bf had gnocchi).

We received our meals quickly, but unfortunately I was served creamy chicken and avocado penne instead. Not being a fan of avocado, I told the waitress about the mix up and my meal was quickly replaced and 10% taken from the price of my main. We all dug into the pizza which was delicious - thick puffy base, mouth-watering topping. My main was nice... but nothing spectacular. I probably could have made it at home with just some chicken, mushrooms and some cream... The boys' mains, however, were delicious. That ragu was very impressive, great flavours. My partner was in love with the gnocchi, even stating that it was the best he'd ever had. I tried some and he's right, it was sooo good - light and fluffy without that overpowering potato taste. My brother was also impressed with the ragu and his fresh pasta - although he had not expected to receive multi-coloured fettuccine (not that it affected the taste in any way).

With big full bellies we then wandered across the road to Re Del Gelato for dessert.

All up, one pizza, three entree sized mains and three drinks cost around $90. We will definitely be returning. Next time I will order the ragu, and without a doubt my partner will order the gnocchi.

No comments:

Post a Comment